Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Altec 9444 and QSC amp the same?

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Guys,

    I was talking to a friend that works for a pro-sound outfit..... they provide systems for shows, installs, and festivals. He was telling me about a 9444 that they pulled from an install. I'm going to go take a look at it Monday, and may purchase it. Unfortunately it's twin was thrown away, as they were told it wouldn't be feasible to fix. I guess I shouldn't feel too bad about it, as I think he may have actually talked to IRAtech, although I didn't think an amp could be that broken.

    Any way, he mentioned that the 9444 was pretty much identical on the inside to some QSC model from the same era. Any truth to that or is he mistaken/confused?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    If i'm not mistaken, i think the man who actually designed the 9444A is a member and occasional poster here.

    I surely don't have a clue if there was ever any connection between Altec and QSC.

    There were a couple JBL branded amplifiers that i think were made for them by QSC, but i have my doubts about a QSC/Altec association like that.

    I welcome the opportunity to be wrong for i will almost certainly learn something. forums

  3. #3
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't recall them ever being related to the QSC amps, but it could be.

    I do know that the EV AP2600 and AP3200 are direct descendants of the Altec 9444 and 9446 respectively. I don't konw if they carried the 9442 or 9441 down to the EV line.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The 9444A was very, very similar to the QSC 1400. The only real difference was in the protection circuit(s). The 9444B, 9446A and all of the EV clones were different in the power supply with half of the low frequency head-room. I will not recommend these latter amps for subwoofer duty.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by GaryZ:
    The 9444A was very, very similar to the QSC 1400.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Gary, do you have any knowledge on how that came about?

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    The A-series was, as my friend Gary says, does better for LF applications, and IS a great amplifier.

    Ira CAN fix them - don't know why they would think they couldn't be repaired...

    The guy on our board designed the 9440...

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Todd W. White:
    Ira CAN fix them - don't know why they would think they couldn't be repaired...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking they were looking at it from a resale perspective. This would have been after they replaced the system at the skating rink.

    The guy on our board designed the 9440...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Which amp in the 9xxx series was the first? What year did they start?

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ November 02, 2008 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Audio_by_Goodwill ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, since functional used 9444s can often be had for a $100 bill, spending that much or more for a new board or PT makes little sense.

    The 9440 came out around '75. It was almost 15 years later for the Anniversary Series.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bowtie427ss:


    There were a couple JBL branded amplifiers that i think were made for them by QSC, but i have my doubts about a QSC/Altec association like that.

    I welcome the opportunity to be wrong for i will almost certainly learn something. forums
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">QSC did make amps for JBL in the 90,s at somepoint. They were good amps too.

    Ill dig up some old JBL literature I have buried, and post the model numbers.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    MPX Series of JBL amps were made by QSC.

    MPX-300

    MPX-600

    MPX-1200

    They were solid amps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.